Saturday, October 31, 2009

God... a very present help in trouble Ps. 46:1

Last week a couple of the teachers was looking at the calendars that Joyce Kaufman and her students at Cheney High School made for me. When they came to the month of October, they were shocked to see pictures of the jack-o-lanterns. They were like, "Oh,no". Christians in Honduras, they said, do not keep Halloween. I told them I don't keep it and haven't for over 40 years. But they couldn't believe that Christians in the U.S. keep it. Very interesting. And even more interesting was the sermon this morning, because it started out with the knowledge that today is El Dia de Brujas, the day of the witches. It is a day of rejoicing for Satan's followers. Wow, it's the first time that I have heard a Christian pastor speak out against it. People may say that the people here are just ignorant and unlearned. Well, they know Jesus and if they are ignorant and unlearned, I guess He must have been, too, because He definitely knew of Satan's power and ability to deceive.

This last week was the last full week for students. Monday and Tuesday this week are for "recuperacion" tests for the kids that didn't past their tests last week. How times have changed. When I was in school, eons ago, you were expected to learn the first time around, and when tests were given, you either passed or you didn't. And maybe there were 1 or 2 kids that didn't pass in a grade or two, but it sure wasn't more than that, and we didn't get to take the test over. How our expectations have changed.

The Lord is definitely a very present help in the time of need. Yesterday, I was going to town to get my hair cut and do some shopping. And when I closed the door behind me I knew I was in trouble. I didn't have my keys! Oh, boy, what a pickle I was in. I couldn't leave the yard because I didn't have the key to unlock the gate. I couldn't climb over the fence because it's a little high and has barb wire on top. And even if I tried, somebody would have seen me and then the policia would have come, and they wouldn't know if I was trying to get out or in. I could see myself being taken to the police station and trying to explain what was going on. What a mess. All the windows have bars on them, so even though a couple of them were open, I couldn't squeeze through. I thought if I could jiggle the sliding door, maybe it would open. If I could get it open, I could get a broom handle and reach my keys that were on the table. Nope, that didn't work. Oh, boy, I'm here till 8 or 9 tonight when Will comes. The cell phone was in the house,too. Yeah, I hear ya!! So I've been praying all this time, of course, and when I decided I'd just sit on the bench and talk to God the rest of the day, my deliverance came. Will came strolling around the corner of the house. I was never so happy to see anyone in my life as I was him. Hallelujah! But he didn't have keys to the house. So we looked in the windows, thinking, etc. and Will says, ah ha! And away he went. Well, needless to say he got into the house, got my keys, and opened the door. And I praised God for sending Will when he did. Probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes had passed between the time I locked myself out and Will came. I continue to thank God for that even today. What God uses to build faith in his people. I'm sure He will bring this episode to my mind further down the road.

In about 4 weeks it will be time to head for the states until January when I come back. I'm ready to see my family again. I'm not anxious to see cold weather, ice, and snow. Snow is beautiful, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment