Saturday, March 20, 2010

IITim. 1:7 For God hath not given us a spirit of fear...

School is now in full swing. Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day. It is a big deal here just like Mother's Day. The parents supply the money for the food that the cooks at school prepare for the fathers that come. The different grades practice skits, songs, and poems to perform for their fathers. It's really quite nice. My Spanish teacher was shocked to find out that we don't do that in the states. I explained that the younger grades make things for their fathers and the churches usually do something to honor fathers, but as a whole the day is celebrated individually by families. Very strange to her. I really appreciate the fact that they teach the children the national anthem of Honduras, beginning in kindergarten. During the celebration, it is sung after prayer. They sing all the stanzas, not just one or the chorus. I wish we would do that in the states, but then heaven forbid that we should offend those that are not from the U.S. or don't believe in patriotism. How far we have fallen.

The week of the 29th will begin La Semana Santa-Holy Week and we will be out of school ready for a break. However, there will be a team here from the states working at the school. So Becky and I will be cooking breakfast every morning at 5:30. Right now the guys from El Progreso is here building steps, retaining walls, and a place for the high school kids to play soccer or whatever. It is so nice to walk down steps instead of loose gravel that can send you flying if you're not careful.

Exams will be given when we return to school. Yuck! I don't like giving tests, and I don't like taking them. But it's a must. I am happy with what the kids have remembered from last year. Right now we're working on telling time. They are just like some kids in the states. They can read digital, but not a regular clock. So it's a little difficult. And there are places in this world that still use regular clocks including watches. But then the Hondurans don't use the same words that I learned in Spanish to tell time either. So I understand their confusion and frustration. Really makes me wonder how much different it will be in Costa Rica. I'll be thinking, Lord, here we go again. Yeah, I hear some of you saying, "But look at how much you're learning". Just goes to prove that there are more ways to skinning a cat than one. That's morbid, but it's one of those things my dad use to say. The students are also learning the books of the Bible in English. They really have trouble pronouncing Judges.

Last week in the Bible study, the leader asked if we were ready to go if Jesus should come back. Some were a little fearful and he explained that when we are in Jesus, we don't have to live in fear. Of course, that's the crux of the matter. Are we in Jesus? Something was said about time, and I remarked that we won't have time to think about it when the time comes, because we will go in the twinkling of an eye. I don't know if a twinkle is the same as a blink, but I think it may be faster. But then Hondurans are a fearful people, and we talked about that a little. Some of my friends were shocked to know that all our homes in the U.S. are not surrounded by brick walls or cyclone fences with locked gates and barbed wire running along the top. Here, when you go to someone's house, you stand outside the gate and jiggle the gate while calling out to them saying, Buenas or Hola. I've taught my students how to answer the door if they were in the states. Very shocking to them to be so close and knock on a door, and not be calling out at the same time. How different our cultures are, but in many areas, the same.

I received news last week that the mother of my best friend in Wichita had passed away. It was sad to hear, but it was also a time of rejoicing for she was ready to meet our Lord. Everyday we have to be ready. Our sins forgiven and walking the path that He has called each one of us to walk. As the nations around us become more confused, we have to keep our eyes on Jesus. He is on the throne above all thrones and is in complete control of all things. Nothing happens without His say so. I'm so glad I know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment