Sunday, January 30, 2011

Luke 18:1...that men ought always to pray, and not to faint.

The 4th week of language school is about to begin. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!! However, things are beginning to make more sense. I didn't go to the feria yesterday to buy fruits and veggies. I needed a day to just stay home, and get my brain together, if that's possible. School goes very fast with a lot to learn and do, and it seems there is no time to just think about what you are trying to learn and understand. Plus take care of all the normal life stuff like laundry, buying groceries, etc. But when you're in the military, you go and do whatever you're assigned, period. And this is what it feels like, but then I am in God's army, so that takes care of that.

Today Leticia and I went with Ritchie to the church he attends. We had to take 2 different buses each way, and that was good. It gave Leticia and I a chance to start learning the bus system. It cost us each about $.75 total. The taxi, one way, is about $6. So the bus is definitely the way to go. I didn't understand the pastor's speech very well, but I knew what he was talking about. Pray, pray, pray, and more than just those 5 minute prayers.

I do pray, a lot. I don't like Costa Rica at all, or maybe I should say San Jose. It's always overcast, so I rejoice when I can get some sun. It's not cold, but it's not so warm either. The food is ok, not as good as Honduran or the states. But then you can buy what you want at the store, so that solves that problem. You are not suppose to go walking by yourself, because it's suppose to be too dangerous. That really stinks. I'm so used to walking. And I think I'm homesick for HN. Isn't that a little strange? But then someone reminded me the other day that I had lived there for 2 years. Missionaries are strange people! They love their own country, their flesh and blood families, and miss them, but their hearts are in the countries where God has sent them to minister. When they say the country they were born in is not home, people look at them like the just committed treason or something. And that's not the case. I wouldn't trade my citizenship for any other other country in the world, not even Honduras. But at the same time, it (the U.S.) isn't my home anymore. But then God tells us that this world isn't our home either. So we just have to put it in perspective. When my daughter-in-law was in the army, she said home was where her feet were. I think of that often when I'm not wanting to be here. I know I need this year here to learn, but...and it's those buts that get us into trouble!! So I just have to pray, because I know God sent me here for a good purpose, for his glory, and not to die, so...get over it, Beverly.

Thursday, Deya took Corey and I downtown on the train. We could not sit together or with her. We had to sit with others and speak Spanish. That was ok. When we got off the train, we went to the Mercado, market. Wow, it was big. You can buy fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, spices, and a lot more. One of the meat venders was hollering "hey, hey," and when we turned around, he was holding a pig's head! (Of course, we had to film everything because Deya used it in our class for discussion). I'm telling you, some people in the U.S. would think that was just terrible, but you buy FRESH meat and veggies here, not something that has been frozen for however long. So I want to go back there when I need meat. I did buy an once of paprika for $.15, and I need some bay leaves, but didn't about it while I was there. Oh well, another day. We walked all over, took a bus to the other side of town, I think-I was so lost-and then we decided to walk the rest of the way home, which was about a mile or so. What a class!

It's amazing the things (attitudes) that are in us that we aren't even aware of sometimes. But God has a way of bringing them to the surface in order to help us change them. I was told by one of the teachers that I was fixing lunch for her and Ritchie in 3 weeks. I said, "Really?" She's going to combine our class that day. Supposedly it was Ritchie's idea. He says not!! That really ruffled my feathers! I like to be asked! Oh, well, so be it. I was praying, " Dear Lord, what am I suppose to fix?" He gave me an idea, so it will be ok. Then another teacher said that you're not suppose to answer your door barefooted. What?? No, it's not showing respect. My house, my friend, and I'm not suppose to go barefooted! Amazing! AND you're not suppose to put your book bag, purse, or Bible on the floor in the church. That too, is disrespectful. But, you should not leave them on your chair behind you when you are singing and praying because of thieves. Oh, yes, thieves do go to church. So I have decided to check this out with others. And to smooth the feathers.

I guess I've rambled long enough. I will overcome, because I refuse to be overcame by stuff. Because "when we all get to heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus we will sing and shout the victory."

Love and blessings to all of you. And thank you so much for your prayers. As you can see, I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment