Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ps, 104:24...the earth is full of thy riches.

So here we are in the middle of the week again. We returned from Panama on Sunday after leaving early Thursday morning. I think I enjoyed it more this time just because I knew where things were located. One more trip in Sept. and then home in Dec. So what did I do in PA? RESTED! We all went shopping together, and some went to the beach which is an hour or so away. No, I didn't go. It's not really what I enjoy doing. And the waves, sand, whatever was fairly strong because it took the polish off some toes!!
The trip there takes about eight hours in the bus. We stop for potty breaks, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. More often if necessary. And we stop on the Costa Rican side of the border for lunch. We always pray about crossing the border. Praise God that we have never been held up for them to check our luggage, etc. So the trip was great.
So today, Sat. the 2nd, we toured a coffee plantation. What a great learning experience. This company sells over 70% of their coffee beans to Starbucks in the states where they roast it to their specifications. Doka was started by a German family three generations ago. They own over 24,000 acres of coffee plants. And the caffeine content does not change in the kind of ground that you buy. The time of roasting changes the flavor from light, robust, espresso, etc. not the caffeine content. I was very happy to hear that. And a Coke and Pepsi has 90% more caffeine then coffee. In fact they send their beans to Germany where the decaffeinated coffee is made, and the caffeine is then sold to companies like Coke and Pepsi. Interesting, huh? And all the coffee plant is used for something. The trees are used for 20 years and then they are replaced with new trees. The old trees are used in the fires for roasting the beans. There is also a covering on the bean that is removed and is then used to make paper. So I really enjoyed this trip. I knew Jesus liked coffee!!!! I have been wanting to go to a coffee plantation since coming to Central America, and today I was able to go. We want to go back in Nov. when harvesting will be in progress to see all that we heard about today. This company processes by hand other than the separating of the beans which is done by machines that are 100 years old. Fantastic!
Yesterday, the school visited a Cultural Popular Museo(museum). We were able to make sweet bread and bake it in an oven that is outside. Also we learned how they use to make the adobe walls for the houses. They made frames from cane(not sugar cane), filled them with mud that was mixed with straw, and then they spread cow manure over the dried mud. This kept the wall from being destroyed when it rained. They sometimes whitewashed the wall using limestone and water. This method is now illegal because it won't withstand the earthquakes. Makes sense to me. Man's ingenuity, a gift from God of course, just sometimes makes me speechless.
So Monday, the 4th, we are going to a home of one of the missionaries to celebrate our (U.S.) Day of Independence after classes. Sure doesn't feel like July. And I think I am behind again on my newsletter. Oops. Guess I'd better tackle that this week.
God is absolutely so marvelous. I look at all that he has done in my life, and all I can do is praise him. Whoever thought I would be where I am, doing what I'm doing? Amazing. Dios le bendiga.

No comments:

Post a Comment