Friday, July 8, 2011

John 15:16 You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you...

It's Friday, hallelujah!! So what has happened this week? We celebrated the 4th with only one hour of class. Then we spent time with the teachers showing them how some families celebrate the 4th by doing the spoon race, the three legged sack race, and racing with a balloon stuck between the backs of two people and then passing it back to back with team members. Such fun. And of course we had goodies to eat. In the evening we went to Josh and April's house for a cookout. We met missionaries from other organizations that were working in other areas such as the universities, Bible schools, and after school programs for children. Then Josh lit fireworks for the kids. Here you can shoot off fireworks whenever. Robyn had showed a video at school featuring our soldiers in different eras of war time, Arlington, etc. And of course one of our Savior and his cross and resurrection. It's always good to be reminded of why we keep certain days. Sometimes we just think of a day off from school or work, and it is so much more than that. I thank God for giving the world the U.S.A. If we fall, there are going to be many countries that are going to suffer significantly. I pray our country returns to the standard that made it great in the first place.

And this week, my oldest celebrated his big 50, which of course isn't so big after you reach it. I remember the 4th of that year, and definitely the 5th. So young and so ignorant. Thank God that He has always known me even when I didn't know him. Such love and grace that God has shown me.

Before God called me to the mission field, I knew nothing about missionary life. Boy, have I learned a lot. I want to talk to Abraham someday. I have thought so much about him. What did his family think when he said he was leaving because God (?) told him to do it? Why did God call him when he was an "old" man? When I think about it from the human standpoint, I wonder if it took that much time for God to get him in the position where when He said go, that Abraham would go? I have heard stories from missionaries on the field that talk about their families who don't understand why they left the U.S. And these are Christian families!!! But they really don't understand the call to missions. It isn't something that a person just decides to do on his own! Seriously, who would leave their parents, grandparents, etc., a good job, house, car, friends, church, for a place where they don't know the language, different food, clothes that don't fit so well, houses that are at best second rate, etc.? Nobody in their right minds! But Paul said that we have the mind of Christ, so of course we don't think like the "normal" person. Jesus said that He had chosen us, not the other way around. So this transition has been one of learning and relearning. We can not always see what God is doing. We just have to trust him and be obedient to follow him in whatever he asks us to do whether or not anyone else understands. And he does ask us to do things we really don't want to do. Being here is one of them for a lot of people, including yours truly. But I know a little of what God has done in me since being here, and I know I need the language. So God's will be done.

I have heard how many have to write to their sponsors way too much. And how many churches want the numbers on people saved, baptized, etc. and my flesh wants to ask them the same questions. Really people? There were only about 120 people in the upper room after Jesus had preached, taught, and performed miracles for 3 1/2 years, and he is God! I often wonder if our counting these things is kind of like David numbering Israel. God was not pleased with that action, and a price was paid for it. So are we measuring success or so-called success by numbers?

In class today we had to present videos that we took last week when we went to the Cultural Popular Museo(museum). I have always believed that there is a natural substance for whatever is needed. So my group talked about La Reina de la Noche, (The Queen of the Night or Angels Trumpets). It's a big plant that has beautiful flowers and soft leaves. Well, the leaves can be used for toilet paper, (better than the poison ivy that my youngest used one time) and the flowers give off a wonderful aroma at night that covers the odor from the outhouse. (UGH, I heard that)!! And the mint they grow is not only used for food, but it's also a deterrent for ants! Great stuff, not that I want to exchange the modern bathroom for what my grandparents had. But the soft leaves would definitely be an improvement over pages from Sears catalogs! But leave it to man to take the natural good use of something and turn it into something bad. This plant has addictive qualities to it, therefore it is used by drug addicts, and none of the effects are good. They eat it or smoke it, so I was told. How sad.

There have been a few times since I have been in Central America when I really wished I was a man, so I could have gone to the guys that have been laying in the streets, and talked to them about their situations. I know some choose to live like this. But I also know that there are some that have not, and they don't know how or what to do. Even in this school, we have been told to ask questions. Well, when you don't know what to ask, and you don't know the language, how do you do that? Unless someone helps you, you are totally wandering in the dark. Kind of reminds me of the good Samaritan, and the man left to die in the street.

Oh well, enough for now. Dios le bendiga.

No comments:

Post a Comment