Sunday, October 30, 2011

Gen. 2:7, 21-22 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground...

A few weeks ago I was asked to describe the first two chapters in Genesis by looking at drawings that really didn't do much to help me. I remember saying that God said it was good after every creation. My teacher said no, that God saw that it was good. She was right. Saying and seeing are two different things. So I have gone back to reread this part of Genesis again, in Spanish of course. So a couple of nights ago after I went to bed, I started thinking about God creating everything. All was spoken into existence except man. He formed man from the dust of the earth. And I thought about that a lot laying there in bed. I believe a baby's heart starts beating a week or so after conception, and he forms from the inside out. In my mind I could see the Lord down on the ground forming Adam. He had to start with the insides. And what a mind! I don't know which part he formed first, but forming the heart, the lungs, stomach, all the different systems: digestive, nervous, respiratory, skeletal, glandular, and all the rest. And then I thought about that little thing called the gall bladder. Just the right amount of bile released at the right time or there is a lot of pain and anguish. Wow! The mind of God. Every part had to work just right with all the other parts. And of course in my mind he had to use water, right? I can remember making mud pies, and I had to use water or there was just the loose dirt and no pie, which of course, no one wanted to eat after all my labor. The Bible doesn't say he used water. But I can see him on his knees or sitting, and moving around on the ground forming his first son of flesh. And when he finished with all that makes a human body, there it laid on the ground. This big creature of dirt. And then he breathed the breath of life into him and the thing formed became flesh and blood. Now isn't that the most awesome thing ever? This big form of DIRT that turned into flesh. The many times that I have read this in Genesis and it never hit me like this. Scripture describes God as having eyes, ears, hands, feet, etc., but we never see him getting his hands dirty. But I see him working in that dirt with a love that is indescribable. This man child Adam was perfect in every way. He was made with God's own hands. And then the Lord turned around and made Eve from one of Adam's ribs after he put Adam in a deep sleep. And in them he put the seeds necessary to populate the earth. I am amazed. And we are always in a hurry to shed this body that God made with his hands. I understand all the reasons, but at the same time I don't think we give him enough glory and honor for this part of ourselves. But then we love to see new babies, yes? Just think how God felt when he looked at Adam and Eve. And now when he looks at us. Such love. There is none better.

No comments:

Post a Comment